The function of the Building Department is to promote public safety by enforcing building standards. Building Department services include:
- Building permits - Permits authorize construction and inspections.
- Contractor licensing - Contractors and sub-contractors must be licensed, bonded, and insured to work in the City of Portage.
- Inspections - Construction is inspected for conformance with the plan, the permit, and with state and local building codes.
- Plan review - Construction plans are reviewed for compliance with state and local requirements.
For more information, see our Permits - What, When, and How (PDF) guide.
Typical Projects Requiring Inspections
Typical Activities Requiring a Permit
- Change of Use
- Concrete pads
- Detached Garages
- Exterior/interior remodeling
- Mobile Homes
- New building construction
- Occupancy Permits
- Parking lots
- Room additions
- Signs and Awnings
- Windows and Siding