- Streets & Sanitation
- Leaf & Limb Collection
Leaf & Limb Collection
Leaf Collection Policy
The Portage Street Department will begin the yearly fall leaf pick-up schedule as management observes the need to start, usually starting about October and ending in December as weather permits. The leaf drop is unpredictable due to conditions and many other variables involved in when the majority of leaves will fall to the ground. Weather permitting, residents leaf piles will be picked up about three to five times during this fall period. In case of rain or snow leaf pick-up will be delayed and will resume as weather allows.
In order to insure success of the program residents are asked to observe the following policy:
- Please rake all leaf piles in the easement / edge of your property as soon as possible. Please do not rake partial leaf piles.
- Avoid raking leaf piles into the street as this plugs drains and causes flooding.
- Avoid parking vehicles near leaf piles to avoid interruption of pick up services.
- Do not rake leaf piles near mailboxes, trees, poles, electrical boxes, hydrants, etc.
- Do not contaminate leaf piles with sticks, branches, trash or other debris.
- Avoid bagging leaves during "Leaf Pick up Season", this causes them to be sent to the landfill which will increase our yearly landfill cost.
- Leaf piles raked to the curb after this "Fall" will have to wait till "Mid-April" for pick up.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and have an enjoyable fall season.
Tree Limb & Related Brush Collection Policy
- Schedule your limb pick up by calling us 762-4564 or email us with your name, phone, and address.
- Limb routes are not serviced during Bulk Item Week which is the first Monday through Friday of the month.
- The Street Department will pick up trees, limbs and brush provided the tree trimming was performed by the homeowner and not a contractor.
- Cut debris down to a minimum of five feet in length. This allows our equipment to easily pick up debris.
- The area between the curb and sidewalk is the best place for limbs.
- Do not place limbs under low hanging service electrical lines or tree limbs.
- Do not place limbs near objects such as electrical boxes, hydrants, mailboxes, poles, vehicles, etc.
- Parked vehicles in front of your limb pile will prohibit pick up.
- Excessive limb amounts have additional service fees. First truck load of limbs are free, each truck load thereafter has a $200 service fee.
- Limbs and brush cannot be combined with any other material or garbage.
- Severe storm events increase limb/tree volumes and your route may see delays in pickup services, please be patient in these situations.
About This Location
This location houses the street department administration. Grass clippings can also be dropped off at this location.